Kitchen Nightmares visited The Old Neighborhood Restaurant all the way back in July 2013 to film the episode, and I searched around the Internet to read stories, comments and reviews about Old Neighborhood to get an idea of how the restaurant is doing since Gordon Ramsay visited, and here is what I found (note - all reviews are post Kitchen Nightmares):
- "We both had excellent fish and chips. Flaky inside, crispy outside, with nice crisp chips(fries)....There has been an improvement in the decor but I hope they continue to redecorate. We had been there before and agreed with a previous reviewer that it always felt like it catered to a much older crowd (and we are not spring chickens ourselves). I think that is less true now and younger people will feel more welcome. But I think it is too upscale to be considered a family restaurant."
- "I have been eating here for 20+ years, and always go for special occasions, including my wedding banquet. We love it. Management is local, and food is always great. Service is good, and I love the overstuffed chairs with wheels on them. This will always be a family favorite for my 5th generation Colorado clan. Bravo!"
- "Just tried it post Ramsey's visit. The updating on the inside is very well done, looks clean and crisp....Menu was downsized considerably but has a nice new fresh appeal.... Overall a great improvement. Thumbs up Ramsey!"
- "Really not sure what these other reviews are up to. This place served my wife and I very poor food (some inedible) at a fairly expensive price. We will never be back. The place is obviously struggling. Let it go."
- "Horribly expensive. Maybe good for the retirees who filled the place. $80 for my table for a brunch that you get for free at hotels "
- "Called the restaurant to make a reservation for 12 for the Mother's Day brunch and was told "I'm too busy. I can't take a reservation right now." Wow. Shocked."
Other News and Links:
- Here is a short preview of the episode.
- Here is the Old Neighborhood Facebook page, website, and menu. Their website also states, "What kind of restaurant does 3 Michelin Star chef Gordon Ramsay come to? A place just like Old Neighborhood Restaurant in Arvada, that's where." I am pretty sure he came because they were struggling.
- On the Old Neighborhood Facebook page, they stated not long after the makeover, "Great response on new menu, I guess gorden Ramsey underestimated me, his menu was too small and mine too large, so new is just right with lots of options!!!"
- The owner Alexa stated on her Facebook page, "Well about three weeks since my friend Gordon Ramsey was here and seem to be doing pretty well."
- Now a big update... The Old Neighborhood Restaurant is already listed for sale. The listing has it for sale at a price of $775,000 with the description, "Recently filmed for a Fox TV reality restaurant show hosted by Gordon Ramsey to air 2014. 6,000 s.f. restaurant operated by the same owners for 29 years. Fully equipped kitchen-FF&E list upon request. Hotel and Restaurant liquor license. Seperate bar with seating capacity for 100"
The reviews for The Old Neighborhood Restaurant are definitely mixed with people liking the makeover and complaining about service and expensive prices. It seems like Alexa adjusted Gordon Ramsay's menu to add some more items on it, but she didn't go back to the old menu.
The fact that The Old Neighborhood Restaurant is already for sale pretty much confirms that the restaurant is not faring so well. This restaurant will be one to watch and it may end up closing soon.
UPDATE - The Old Neighborhood closed for good in April 2016. They posted the following message on their Facebook Page - "It’s official, after 36 years of business we have sold the restaurant and will be closing our doors on Sunday, May 1st. We want to thank everyone for your continued support and love over the years. Although it will be a big change in our lives, we are excited to see what the future holds. Come visit us one last time and say goodbye! We will be open our normal business hours which are Friday and Saturday 11AM-9PM and Sunday Brunch 10AM-2PM and Sunday Dinner 3:30PM-8PM. We hope to see everyone!"
*To see updates on all the restaurants from Kitchen Nightmares and to see which ones are open or closed, visit the Kitchen Nightmares Update Page